Saturday, September 16, 2017

Suicide Prevention Month...

Did you know September is Suicide Prevention Month? If you would like more information on this, please check out this: NAMI

Have you heard of Project Semicolon?

Project Semicolon is an organization devoted to prevention of suicide.

Suicide is a super complex issue. There are more reasons than I can list that people attempt suicide, mental illness being one of them.

Today I was certified to provide initial help to young people experiencing signs/symptoms of suicidal and/or self harming behaviors through the National Council for Behavioral Health.

I felt super empowered during my training.

I traced my semicolon tattoo many times.

I didn't get this tattoo as part of the trend it became.

My semicolon tattoo reminds me daily of the struggles I, and millions of others having with anxiety, depression...things that can easily lead into suicide.

The semicolon I have tattooed reminds me that the struggle with mental health is important.

And to remind me that there were times when I wanted to end my story.

But I didn't.

"A semicolon is used with the author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to.

The author is you and the sentence is your life."

Do you know someone who struggles with mental health or thought of suicide? It might even be you. If it is, there are people who can help you. You can choose that semicolon instead of the period.

Be the reason someone smiles today.



If you or someone you know is contemplating suicide, please contact the National Suicide Hotline at
(800) 273-8255

4 comments:

  1. I love how you incorporated the semi-colon into the heart. My beloved's sister has a semi-colon tat. Here's reads Just Breathe, and the semi colon is the J. As badly as I'd like a tattoo, I'm too chicken to get one.
    Congratulations on your certification!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had heard of the semi-colon project before...thank you for the reminder. This is so important!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to thank you for doing what you do to help people.

    ReplyDelete