Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Aaaahhhh, Disneyland....


As a child, my fondest memories are the times I spent at Disneyland. Disneyland in Anaheim, California.
Not Disneyworld in Orlando, Florida.
There is a difference!
My parents took me to Disneyland as a very small child. We must have gone at least once a year.
I have since been at least 30 times.
There is just something about Disneyland that lulls me into a Mickey-coma...and I love it!
As you enter the park, you see the Train Station. You must stop and get your picture taken with the Mickey-made-of-flowers in the background!  You can hear the rides, you can hear the children laughing, you can smell the smells that are only found at Disneyland.

Oh, and the smells...the first I get is of churros. Oh, yummy churros.
There isn't much in the world that smells (and tastes) like a crispy, hot churro.
The next thing I smell as I walk down Main Street, taking a left at the end, is a Dole Whip.
If you haven't had a Dole Whip, I suggest you get yourself to Disneyland. Stat. 
It is a magical, smooth, sweet-yet-tart concoction that is only to be found directly in front of the Tiki Room in Disneyland. 
Omg. Now I'm drooling...

The next scent that accosts me is the smell of the Pirates of the Caribbean Ride. 
Now, unless you have smelled it, you wouldn't recognize it.
It is a musty, salty, thick smell, that not being associated with this ride might make you flinch a bit. But, knowing what I know (that this ride is delightful - so.much.fun!) that smell just makes my heart beat a bit faster, makes my imagination start to soar.
Side Note - there is a restaurant INSIDE the building/ride called The Blue Bayou.
I haven't ever gotten to eat there (it's kinda pricey). But, someday, I will.
Ok. We are moving on past Pirates. Next, instead of a smell, I hear a sound.  


What you hear is the music coming from the Haunted Mansion. 
As a young child, this ride scared me. 
To death. 
To this day (I am 45!) I still don't love the ride. 
We always ride it, but I must admit, I feel a little terrified!

If you haven't been to Disneyland, I am taking the "left" route. 
Going left at the end of Main Street seems to get us to rides quickest.
 Going the "right" route seems to take forever.

Next, you hear screams. 
And feel a cold mist of water hit your face. 
You have arrived at Splash Mountain.
This ride, even though it is full of water, smells different than the Pirates ride.
Don't ask why.
Here is the thriller drop at the end...
I absolutely love the ride. 
Except for this part.
I don't love the feeling of my stomach rising into my throat.

Ok. We are going to cut across the park now. 
ALL the way to the other side.

The next ride is Space Mountain. This was the very first roller coaster I ever rode. 
And I loved it. 
Loved, loved, loved it. 
Now, it is a little too jerky and awkward for me. 
But I still ride.
 I am such a nostalgia-sucker.


There are other rides in this area - Autopia, Star Tours, Buzz Lightyear's Ride.
Not a huge fan of any of these. But, they sure have a devoted following!

One memory I have from my youth is going to the CircleVision theater.
The movie plays on s screen. 
A screen that gives you a 360 degree view. So it completely surrounds you.
I get motion sick. Very easily.
I spent a lot of time there - on the floor. 
I got so immediately motion sick that I couldn't even stand up.
Not a good memory.

Only a couple more to go...
Next - the Matterhorn.
This majestic mountain can be seen from outside the Park's gates.

Again, a super jerk-you-around-ride.
But, a must-ride.
They have renovated it, I have been told. 

As a young girl I heard a rumor that Walt Disney built a half-size basketball court in the top of the mountain. 

What what?

After that, I spent most of my time on the ride looking very closely (well, as closely as you can moving at that speed!) to catch a glimpse of a door leading to this magical basketball court.

Well, I need to close this post.
But I cannot forget to mention the beautiful castle in the middle of the park.
This is Sleeping Beauty's Castle.
It is a.m.a.z.i.n.g.
I have heard rumors about this delightful place, too.

Like,
I heard you could rent out a suite that sits at the top of the castle.
Hold up.
What?
I have since done research, and it seems like the only such suite is actually located in Cinderella's castle, which is in Disneyworld, Orlando, Florida.
This is the inside of that suite.
And, you can't just RENT the suite.
You have to be entered into a drawing, if you win, guess what?
A NIGHT IN THE SUITE.
Ok - where do I register?

There are so many more highlights of a trip to Disneyland. 
Like, going at Christmas or Halloween.
Talk about Magical!


You won't ever want to visit during "regular" days after this! 
They go ALL out.
 Everything is decorated. 
Everything!

Oh, I almost forgot!
It's a Small World!
Not to be missed (unless you have an aversion to tiny, singing, animatronic dolls)
Heaven!
Oh, and if you don't mind hearing this in your head, for weeks to come...

Go ahead. Click on it. Try to not start singing along...

Well, that's it for my trip down memory lane. 
I am a bit irritated now.
I want to visit again!

Maybe next time I'll take you through Disneyworld Florida.
Or maybe Universal Studios in Los Angeles.
Or maybe Universal Park in Orlando.

What do you think? 
Do you have a smell or sight that takes you back to a delightful time in your life?
Leave me a comment!



2 comments:

  1. Oh Cary, this made me smile so big!
    We were lucky enough to go to Disneyland often growing up as well. For me, it's the ritual of stopping at the cart for a bag of sour cherry gels before getting on the Pirates of the Caribbean. Such a magickal place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to Disney World (Florida) a few times, I always get them mixed up LOL. Pirates of the Caribbean is one of my favorites, along with Peter Pan and It's a Small World. It seems that going "Left" is an insider secret to the least amount of wait time for rides. The park(s) are actually designed for you to go right, or so I was told. If I ever had the opportunity to go again, I wouldn't say no :)

    ReplyDelete