Thursday, October 5, 2017

Grace...



I've seen and heard the word "grace" used a lot recently.  As in "she handled that with grace...".
Image result for grace


First - what does "grace" mean?

grace
ɡrās/


As a noun, it means: Simple elegance or refinement of movement. In Christian belief, it is the free and unmerited favor of God.

As a verb: To do honor or credit to (someone or something) by one's presence.

At my Church, "grace" isn't a thing talked about often, though at other churches I have heard it discussed plenty.

Where I am hearing "grace" often now is online. On Facebook. On Instagram.  

With the shooting that happened this week in Las Vegas, I have had some pretty crappy emotions bumping around in me.  

1. I am mad. I am so mad.
2. I am sad.  Very, very sad.
3. I am frustrated. The very fact this happened frustrates me greatly.
4. I am confused.  Why is this still happening?

I have also had a friend have some pretty shitty things happen to her this week.  If I these things had happened directly to me, I can tell you that "grace" is not something I would have been feeling. 

I would have been furious. I would have been super stalker-ish on social media, making rude comments when I could.  I would be so so tempted to shred that person until I got the satisfaction I felt I deserved.

Guess what? As far as I can tell, my friend hasn't done any of these things.  


She has handled the situation with kindness. 

With tolerance. 

With...you got it, grace.

At least, that is what I think it is.  

Taking the crap life throws you, not giving it any bad stuff to feed on, and still be a kind person. 

An understanding person.

A person who handles themselves with grace.  



4 comments:

  1. Grace. Something we can all strive for. Something I made a conscious decision to make a life's practice many years ago. It's not always easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not an easy thing to do but oh so worth it... Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love this. <3

    I often fail at grace, but I rarely fail at love. I figure that's a win.

    ReplyDelete